Monday 14 November 2011

Mix-Tape Monday #2 : A Guilty Pleasure

Do you know what? I love 'Guilty Pleasures' music!

It's a music genre that unites so many people no matter what you're into. Evidence of this has to be the regular Club Nights at Koko in Camden. We've only been there once post kids but pre-kids we went quite a bit. It's one of those clubs that as soon as it opens at 10pm the whole place is dancing until 3am - punching the air to Bon Jovi, having a boogie whilst watching 3 beer bellied topless blokes dressed as angels grooving to Bucks Fizz on stage and singing along to a special guest doing karaoke (we've seen Terry Hall and Charlotte Church play there previously). It is amazing!

So, when Boo and Me said this week's music subject, for the second of her Mix-Tape Mondays, was going to be this, you can imagine I got pretty excited!

I have to admit though, it's been difficult to choose a song as there are so many candidates.

In true X-Factor judge style though - "I've made my decision" - and this is based on two reasons (and neither of them is because the song reflects the state of my marriage!) :

1) this was the penultimate song played at our Wedding Reception so it brings back happy memories of all our family and friends having a great time on the dancefloor. At the end of the song everyone formed a circle and my wife and I were in the middle singing our hearts out to each other - what an amazing day!

2) it reminds me of my late Nan. A few years ago she gave me all of her old vinyl records and one of them was the album "Musn't Grumble" by this duo. It will go wherever I go (I mean when we move house - I don't carry it with me at all times or anything) until I pass it on to one of my daughters / grandchildren in years to come and so on and so on...

So, there you have it - are you ready?! All together now - "Oh darlin'! There ain't no pleasing you..."

5 comments:

  1. That was released the year my husband was born

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rabbit
    Rabbit
    Rabbit Rabbit Rabbit !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't beat a bit o' rockney. Gertcha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have ringtones for everyone in my address book and that is Dr B's. Love that song. Surprisingly tender song that. A FANTASTIC choice!

    ReplyDelete